Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Not Just About the History


This project actually didn't begin with with the study of Easthampton history. Initially I had little hopes and dreams of becoming an amateur historian of weird stories about this small city.

At the end of February, a couple of years ago, I had an overwhelming urge to capture Easthampton houses that I saw on night walks. I was drawn to the saturated and cinematic light of the night sky juxtaposed with the quirky architecturally styled houses that grace these streets. There is an exorbitant amount of vinyl siding and faux stone in these parts. But I find that there lies a beauty in their oddness. I feel similarly about East German buildings or say the color scheme of the 1950s & 1970s. A push/pull reaction is initiated, like you don't really want to look, but you can't help it.

So think of this. February in New England. Extended film exposures, sometimes up to 30 minutes long. This is where this project began.

Over the series of two years I photographed numerous houses throughout Easthampton. 18 or so will be part of an Installation at 1 Cottage St. Rm 1-06 opening October 10, Easthampton, MA