Friday, June 18, 2010

Albert Kiesling - Expert Mixologist

A couple of years ago when I began working on the earth project I entered Cartledge's on Union Street. It is a card shop full of knickknacks, office supplies, and other such things circa 1985 (if not earlier). The store is run by Nancy and it has been in her family since she was a kid. She took over proprietorship when her father passed away. Now she creates the best-ever window installations that include wacky pencil sharpeners, faded postcards, and not-so-subtle reminders about upcoming holidays.

On my second visit, I was introduced to the late Albert Kiesling aka "Dutchie." Nancy's husband is the nephew of Kiesling who was a quirky painter, snow sculptor (I'm talking giant historical heads, horses, and party goers made of snow that filled his front yard.), actor, papier maché sculptor, yodeler, and float maker who lived in Easthampton until about 1968. He was the king of kitsch in Easthampton or as his nephew calls him, "Easthampton's Most Famous Artist" and "expert mixologist." Kiesling took on a substantial project of recording the city's buildings, many disappearing from the changing landscape of the 50s and 60s, via painting. Reproductions of these paintings have been an excellent resource to my work often showing vantage points that were not captured in photographs. As soon as I bought my first book on Kiesling(I am the proud owner of the black and white and color versions and don't forget the tote bag too!) I knew he had a place in my thoughts. I still peruse the now worn pages of the books for his paintings, pictures of his dinner (largest baked potato ever), and even his death certificate (in both versions). The books are almost as much of a source of fascination as the man himself.

So if you are in the area of Cartledges, grab a book on Kiesling and read up, because the larger than life character plays a role in the water piece.