Friday, March 19, 2010

Gonna Go on Vacation


The band Timecard released its album Vacation in January. It is a concept album with songs ranging from a rocking tune about diner encounters to a crooning lullaby about the last day away from it all. Its collection of songs and instrumentals capture a quirky sensibility with a diverse sound. Many of the songs have an ambiguous relationship to the theme, vacation. We certainly aren’t listening to stories about euro trash gallivanting through Germany or thrill seekers traversing in a jungle in Belize. There is no doubt that this vacation is located on the Americana highway with a twist of current electro indie sound with pop and rock influences.

I worked with Timecard on my last Project 01027 so I knew a bit about the Vacation album as it was being created. A few things that caught my attention (other than songs that mention soymilk and lactose intolerance) was the interest in creating an album that works as a whole piece with each song flowing and working off of one another. By doing this, Timecard creates a eclectic journey with a theme song included.

You can see Timecard (and I am collaborating on this gig too!) at the Loft in Brattleboro on March 26th. Come chuckle and enjoy some visual fun.


I asked Timecard a few questions about the album and what this project is all about.

How did the concept "Vacation" come about as an album? Why a concept album?
The practical purpose of a concept album is to help me write lyrics. At one time I wrote very serious personal sorts of lyrics, and I wanted to try something more fun and a little less introspective.

I don’t remember a decision to do vacation songs. I think it evolved naturally during a time period when I didn’t do very much music because I was in school. I was only doing music during breaks, so I ended up writing abstractly about fun things I was experiencing during those time periods.

I do remember that at some point I organized ideas of what I wanted to write about. There were a lot of things I didn’t end up using for the album too, including a song about bowling, one about swimming, and another about motels. A lot of that was left off to get a nice flow to the music. I also had quite a few additional instrumentals, which I ended up using instead for the Project Elements walking tour.

The sounds of the Vacation album have a disparate quality to them. Some it is very
catchy, almost pop, while in a singular song the sound can shift to a contrasting DIY feel, then some audio is really rocking then changes to electronic beats. How did this sound evolve?
I think it’s because I like a lot of different music, and the albums that have really stuck with me are those that are diverse. The other reason is that I had a diverse crew of collaborators. There are more electronic things that I did with San Francisco musician Zip, and more rocking things I did in a more live band setting with some friends from my former life in a small southern town.





Why did you start incorporating video into your music making?
It’s to make the album more interactive. I wanted to explore ways to entice listeners to take in this set of songs as a whole piece, and also to work with the idea of stimulating multiple senses. My thinking is that creating some images makes for a really variable and enticing way to experience the album.

At the same time, I’m interested in the idea that one can combine random sensory experiences, and our brains will tend to sync it. So one can watch the images as traditional music videos, or take the images and put the songs on shuffle on a computer or MP3 player for a dreamier experience of nonsensical imagery.

It’s been done many times in music before. But I was most inspired by the album Zaireeka by The Flaming Lips. The album is 4 cds that have to be played simultaneously on 4 music players. The idea is that since the cds will never sync the same, each listening experience is unique. And having to get 4 music players in one place makes the album an event that requires an audience typically.
In a similar sense, I want the Vacation album to be an event one experiences.


You mentioned on your website your views on humor in music and how musicians are expected to be serious. Was this specific to a certain genre of music? I see humor in pop, old country, folk, and hip-hop. Why do you think it’s the norm that humor is not considered a valid tone within music?
It’s true that different genres view humor as more or less valid. For example, hip-hop is at one end with a long history of funny things like skits, while rock tends to take itself more seriously. I’m not sure why humor isn’t more prevalent. It is a really inspiring feeling to laugh. Just as powerful as love or anything else people sing about.

W
here do you see yourself and this project (Vacation) going in the future? What other concepts do you have lurking?
This project has had such a long gestation that I want to really explore ways to let people know about this music and the band. The most immediate next thing will be releasing a version of the videos to the public. I also want to do more performances and collaborate more, and possibly something that would involve guest performances from some of the collaborators on the album like Zip and the Virginia crew of Joe Wingenbach and Jeremy Plaugher. After that I’ll be really excited to write and record more music. I’ve already started demo-ing around a new concept involving the love song, and am so excited about the possibilities of new music.

&ampamp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a href="http://timecard.bandcamp.com/album/vacation-mixtape"&ampamp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;This is Central Park by Timecard&ampamp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&ampamp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;