Saturday, December 12, 2009

Flywheel: It's What You Make It!


I was a latecomer in the the life of Flywheel's first venue on Holyoke Street in Easthampton. I had heard of Flywheel but never had a chance to check it out until 2006 when I moved to town and saw there was a film screening happening. I went to the event with low expectations because the building's facade looked pretty run down and because I had heard that Flywheel was primarily a punk rock venue-- although I am a fan of loud music and noise, that conjured up assumptions of what I thought the space would be.

I ended up being absolutely blown away.

It was a screening of Who is Bozo Texino, a black and white film of the hobo train journey and a legend train tagger. After the screening, there was a low key talk and Q&A by the filmmaker Bill Daniel. It was fantastic and so unexpected. And it only cost $5 to get see it.

I believe that the opening of Flywheel in the Old Town Hall will generate needed foot traffic on Main Street. Easthampton has seen tremendous revitalization and arts flurry in the past year with thanks to the ECA and artists just coming out of the watusi in this funky little city. Last Thursday evening, I had to search for parking on Main Street to attend the ECA art party. How exciting!

Let's keep the momentum going in Easth
ampton.
  • Memberships have many incentives and make great gifts.
  • Or give $10 for the "$10 from 200 people" campaign
  • Volunteer and put on shows of your own
If you haven't seen the space in the past month, you must check it out. It will amaze you and entice your imagination to infinite possibilities for Easthampton! You can sneak a peek at the Flea Market happening Sunday, December 13, 2009 from 10 to 3. Flywheel is almost there!